Security for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex upon their return to the UK could cost millions of pounds, a former police chief has said, as uncertainty remains over how protection for the couple will be funded.
Prince Harry and Meghan's plan to move back to Britain was revealed on Wednesday night. The King only found out three days before.
Royal return: Catch up on the latest
The couple's children have already been enrolled in new schools, but little else is known about the royal homecoming beyond the fact they will live in a non-royal residence outside London.
The shock development has reignited questions about the Sussexes' security, with Harry having lost a legal battle with the government in 2025 after his protection was downgraded due to no longer being a working royal.
He was told later in the year that his arrangements would be reassessed, but a review has not yet taken place. The Times reports officials are grappling with mounting demand for protection services, partly as the UK now has an unprecedented nine living former prime ministers.
Armed police may be provided on 'case-by-case basis'
If a decision is made to grant Harry and Meghan security, it could "run into the millions of pounds", according to the former Metropolitan Police chief Dal Babu.
"The Duke of Sussex has been requesting full-time security on a par to the security he had when he was in the Royal Family, but as he's not a working royal, I think there will be some resistance to that," he told Sky News.
He pointed to "lucrative contracts" the Sussexes have signed since moving to the US, including with Netflix.
However, any private security Harry and Meghan did pay for themselves in the UK could not be armed.
Mr Babu said there may be intelligence checks "on a case-by-case basis" as to whether additional state-provided security, such as armed police, should be provided.
Inside Harry and Meghan's return - tap here to listen
Prime Minister Andy Burnham has indicated the state will not provide the Sussexes' day-to-day security.
"It's a matter for Harry and Meghan, and we wish them well in the move that they're making," he said on Thursday.
Keep a lower profile, ex-officer tells Sussexes
An ex-royal protection officer who spent months with Princess Diana said Harry and Meghan will need "some sort of protection" and warned against "mistakes of the past" being repeated.
David Robinson told Sky News: "I think the mistakes of the past can very much paralyse the future.
"I hope that's not going to be the case here. I believe very strongly that Prince Harry and his family need some sort of protection, whether it's provided by the state or whether it's a private firm."
In the meantime, another former royal protection officer has advised the couple to keep a "lower profile".
Dai Davis told Sky News: "I'm sad to say that if they continue with their high-profile media, then keeping them safe from either terrorism or fixated individuals raises the pressure quite considerably."
Harry faces multimillion-pound legal bill
It comes as Harry waits to find out how big a bill he will have to pay in legal costs in his High Court case against the Daily Mail's publisher.
The duke and other high-profile figures, including Sir Elton John, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over allegations of unlawful information-gathering, but Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed all the cases last month.
Mr Justice Nicklin is to give his decision today on the size of an initial payment the group will make, with the court previously being told the total costs were more than £34m.
(c) Sky News 2026: Harry and Meghan's return: UK security 'could cost millions' - as uncertainty remains
British cyclist to compete in Spanish race just days after brother's crash death
World's oldest person turns 117 today - and still can't get over the time she met the King
British YouTuber Yung Filly to face retrial on rape charges in Australia
Premier League: Five big talking points ahead of Friday's season opener
Jodie Foster the snake gets world-first cancer treatment
Man charged with failing to disclose information over Manchester synagogue terror attack
Police appeal for information after man found shot dead in car in London
Bus driver arrested after 14-year-old boy dies following collision with vehicle in Portsmouth
Travelodge boss Jo Boydell quits amid guest sex assault row