You're Not Special


Watford beat Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 at Vicarage Road

Watford beat Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 at Vicarage Road.

A Good Friday for Watford, Xisco Munoz’s Hornets extended their unbeaten run to six as they beat Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 at Vicarage Road.

In a first league meeting since 2015, Tom Lees’ early own goal saw the Hornets see out an important victory in Hertfordshire.

Munoz made two changes from the side who beat Birmingham City before the international break. Philip Zinckernagel replaced Dan Gosling and Ismaila Sarr was preferred to Ken Sema.

Wednesday boss Darren Moore made one change from the team who beat Barnsley two weeks ago. Sam Hutchinson replaced Liam Palmer.

The Hornets opened the scoring in the seventh minute on Easter Friday. The deadlock broken courtesy of a Lees own goal, the Owls defender steered the ball past Daniel Bachmann from Sarr’s low cross.

Joey Pelupessy was quick to respond as he tried for an instant equaliser. Firing into an empty Rookery, the Dutchman failed to trouble Bachmann from a Wednesday corner.

Osaze Urhoghide followed as the side from South Yorkshire searched for a leveller. Meeting a corner at the near post, the defender could only head over as the hosts piled on the pressure down the other end.

Bachmann was forced into a first save of the afternoon as the half an hour mark approached. Denying Josh Windass from close range, the Austrian was quickest to the ball as the Hornets maintained their lead.

Isaac Success attempted to double the score in the 31st minute. Dragging his effort wide, the Golden Boys forward couldn’t find the target.

Adam Masina ensued as the first half drew to a close. Firing directly into the Wednesday wall from a freekick, the Moroccan was unable to convert from the set piece on the edge of the area.

Joao concluded an action packed 45 minutes at the Vic. Testing the Owls defence, the Brazilian fizzed a late strike across the face of goal.

The visitors were quickest out of the blocks after the interval. Taking aim from distance, Callum Paterson audaciously blasted a dipping volley over the Hornets goal.

Wildsmith was called into action moments later. The goalkeeper was forced into making a smart save as he kept Pedro at bay from a tight angle down the left hand side.

Will Hughes then found Sarr with the hour mark fast approaching. Shooting high and wide from 18 yards, the forward failed to capitalise from the chance.

Munoz made a double substitution in the 61st minute. Andre Gray and Gosling replaced Success and Zinckernagel.

Wednesday’s Jordan Rhodes squandered a huge opportunity with 25 minutes left on the clock. A let off for Watford, the promotion hopefuls watched as the Scotsman volleyed wide.

Munoz made a second change in the 72nd minute. Sema replaced Pedro.

Moore made his first substitution in the 77th minute. Palmer replaced Pelupessy.

Both teams made substitutions with a little over five minutes left to play. Watford’s Carlos Sanchez replaced Nathaniel Chalobah and Wednesday’s Andre Green and Shaw replaced Paterson and Lees.

Sarr went for goal in the dying minutes in Hertfordshire. The forward Narrowly shot off target from outside of the box.

Sanchez concluded proceedings late into stoppage time. The Columbian failed to find a Watford second as referee Chris Kavanagh blew his final whistle.

More from Local Vibes: News

Vibe 107.6 FM YouTube Channel

Vibe 107.6 FM Instagram

  • Instagram


  • Sun


  • Mon


  • Tue


  • Wed


  • Thu